Best Collagen Supplements in the UK 2020 Buyers Guide
If you are looking for the collagen supplements then I’m sure you already know there are a lot of choices out there which is overwhelming. When trying to buy the best one with so many on the market, it’s easy to get confused. Many people today are using this supplement to improve their skin, tighten sagging skin, lessen the appearance of wrinkles, improve their joints & even prevent hair loss. It’s a good idea that you should take collagen peptides as the natural collagen in our body begins to decline as we age.
The micronutrients which were once abundantly available within your bodies become fewer and fewer with every year that passes. Also, when we expose to UV light, smoke cigarette, pollution, and other environmental factors can lessen the collagen production in our body.
Collagen is the newest darling of the supplement world, and sales are surging in the United Kingdom. So you may be wondering: What’s the craze all about? There are many potential benefits and as a major component for touted skin. It is for better skin, improves joint health, increases muscle mass, prevents bone loss and supports heart health. Other potential advantages include: maintain a healthy weight, improve mood, reduce anxiety and maintain a healthy gut.
Collagen protein is different than whey and casein protein because of these high levels of amino acid which for muscle building. It has actually been proven to help with weight loss and reducing body fat as well. Taking it in is associated with many health benefits and very few known risks
If you’re confused about all the brands out there then worry no more here we will break down for you in layman terms. You’ll discover the right product according to your goal you want to achieve.
We are here to help you weed through all of the options available. We’ve compiled a list of best quality collagen supplements available in the UK for specific wellness goals.
Our Top Picks
- The Intelligent Health: 100% pure 400g unflavoured powder.
- JJC Nutrition: 120 capsules, added vitamin C.
- 365 V: 90 capsules, added vitamin C, biotin & natural bamboo extracts.
- Wellgard: 100% pure gold standard flavourless powder, 400g and kosher & halal certified.
- EDIBLE HEALTH: 400g unflavoured protein powder and kosher & halal certified.
- The Intelligent Health: 100% pure unflavoured high-grade powder and 450g.
- ALLKME: 60 capsules, contains natural hair and skin vitamins.
- Direct Vitality: 60 capsules, added natural vitamins and minerals for collagen production.
- Vegavero®: 120 capsules, contains natural vitamin from fruits and vegetables.
Table of Contents
- Best Collagen Supplements in the UK 2020 Buyers Guide
- Which Ingredients is the Best? Marine or Bovine
- Best Collagen Supplements UK 2020 Quality Ranking
- A. Supplements for Skin, Nails and Hair
- 1. The Intelligent Health Marine Collagen Powder
- 2. JJC Nutrition Marine Collagen Capsules
- 3. 365 V Advanced Marine Collagen Tablets
- B. Collagen Powder for Joints
- 1. Sports Research Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides
- 2. EDIBLE HEALTH Premium Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder
- 3. The Intelligent Health Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder
- C. Vegan Collagen Options
- 1 ALLKME Vegan Collagen Supplement 100% Natural
- 2 Direct Vitality Vegan Collagen Supplement
- 3 Vegavero® Collagen PLUS Complex
- Our Criteria for Picking Supplements
- Things To Know Before Buying
- Why Collagen Supplements Matters for our Health
- Customer Questions & Answers
- Side effects?
- Collagen Supplement: Do they work? (Video)
Which Ingredients is the Best? Marine or Bovine
A lot of people looking for collagen pills but it can be super overwhelming. There are all kinds of different kinds powders pills and then you run into there’s bovine collagen which comes from like a cow source. Then you have marine collagen which comes from a fish source. So a lot of people don’t know which one to get. The fish one or the marine is a lot more money. So why would you pay more money? Here’s the basic difference between both collagen. Most people are looking for collagen because they want healthy skin. They want to reduce wrinkles.
So marine collagen is the one you want to use for nails, skin and hair primarily. It’s going to take care of that. It comes in capsules as well as in powder form.
First, think of it that way; it will also take care of joints. But you will really notice something in hair, skin and nails very quickly. There are actually some people that have reported fine wrinkles disappearing in as little as twenty-eight days by using marine collagen. So that’s the main reason you would use marine collagen and pay that extra money.
Now you have bovine collagen which will, of course, take care of hair, skin and keep your nails healthy. But this is mainly for pain in your joint. There are two main types which are gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen, which differ primarily in how they’re used.
Gelatin is simply the cooked form of collagen and it is one of the most convenient ways to ingest the important amino acids in collagen. On the other hand, collagen hydrolyzed collagen is the gelatin that’s been processed more intensively to break up the proteins into smaller bits.
This bovine type collagen typically comes in powdered form. This collagen powder is safe and easy to add to your diet. If you want to avoid collagen pills then you can easily mix these collagen powder into smoothies, coffee, baked goods and other snacks. It is also known as collagen peptide.
If you want to take care of your bones and arthritis and get a good source of amino acids which is also protein; a scoop of it will help get rid of joint pain in about four to five weeks. So if you’re looking for joint pain; go bovine collagen powder if you’re looking for healthier hair, skin and strong nails go marine collagen.
Best Collagen Supplements UK 2020 Quality Ranking
A. Supplements for Skin, Nails and Hair
Main Ingredients (Marine Collagen)
Some studies suggest that collagen may have limited benefits but the evidence is far from definitive, and marketing claims seem to have gotten ahead of the science. Collagen is the main structural protein in animals that also include humans. It plays an important role in tissues like skin, nails, bones and hair. It’s also increasingly popular for skin health, which claims to replenish these same tissues.
If you eat more animal collagen in the form of supplements then you’ll enjoy healthier skin, hair and nails, their labels promise. They are made from collagen-rich animal tissues that might otherwise be tossed aside by meat processors, like the skin and bones of cattle as well as fish scales and skin. The proteins are first denatured that form gelatin and then further broken down into smaller fragments before being incorporated into products in the form of powders, gummies, capsules and protein bars.
Fish collagen is extracted from either the meat or scales of cold sea fish and is primarily collagen Type I and Type III. The main benefits of collagen types I & III’s are, it will support skin health, strong hair and nail growth.
The benefits? This is what you will get: your dry skin will vanish as well as more tones-looking complexation, the hair will grow like weeds and the nails will be stronger than ever. Here is our best marine collagen that is good for your skin, strong nails and long and shiny hair:
B. Collagen Powder for Joints
Main Ingredients (Bovine)
When it comes to joint supplements, glucosamine and chondroitin are the two common remedies used to combat arthritis pain. But many of us may not be aware that collagen also helps to support healthy joints on top of beautiful skin. Collagen peptides can stimulate cartilage growth. Cartilage is a firm, rubbery material that covers the end of bones in joints. Over time, the cartilage wears off due to ageing and repeated movement. As a result, tendons and ligaments stretch, and bones rub against each other, causing pain. Collagen peptides provide support for the growth and repair of cartilage tissue, as well as relieve joint inflammation and pain.
Type II collagen is primarily found in joints, which are areas of the body more prone to wear and tear. When it comes to choosing a product, search for one that contains collagen as a key active ingredient to support joint comfort, flexibility and mobility. This is especially beneficial if you experience discomfort and pain from arthritis, are a sports enthusiast, or suffer from arthritis. Collagen from cows is extracted from their skin, tendons and cartilage. They mainly type II collagen. Collagen type II is a new treatment and thought to be a potential option to prevent joint destruction, pain and loss of function by a mechanism of oral tolerance that avoids T-cells attach to collagen fibres in our joints.
Here is our best bovine (collagen peptides powder) brand that is good for your joints:
C. Vegan Collagen Options
Main Ingredients (Plant-Based)
As someone who’s been following a vegan diet for years (and therefore avoids animal sources); Is there a way for vegans and vegetarians to still get the touted benefits without actually consuming animal-derived collagen?
The vegan supplement does not contain any animal ingredients. But it provides the same amino acids as traditional supplements only from the non- animal sources. It’s a complete protein which means it provides all the amino acids needed for collagen production. Fatty acids found in plants can help hydrate the skin elasticity and joints for proper mobility. Plant-based collagen builder also contains additional nutrients such as hyaluronic acid and vitamin C; which prevent collagen breakdown. So if you are vegan or want to avoid any animal source then here is the list of the best vegan capsules for you:
Our Criteria for Picking Supplements
In order to recommend the top brands, we put some of the most popular brands to the test. Here’s how we chose the best one for you.
- Checked for third-party testing. Several different organizations offer third-party testing.
- We reached out to brands and considered how and where their collagen was sourced.
- The description of products includes where it was manufactured. All manufactured in the UK or EU following strict manufacturing guidelines.
- We read reviews from real users like you.
Things To Know Before Buying
There’s a reason why there is so much buzz around collagen protein. When it comes to beauty benefits; it’s perhaps the closest there is to the Fountain of Youth. But how do you know you’re getting good collagen as more brands in the UK hop on the trend in powder, liquid and capsule form. It can be tricky to navigate this new crop of drinkable beauty products. And just to complicate things, the supplement market isn’t regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. So here are some buying tips to keep in mind when you’re shopping:
I hope you take these buying tips when getting ready to purchase your collagen and remember guys life is what you make of it.
Collagen is a large molecule therefore if you’ve started to research, these supplements you may have noticed the term ‘hydrolyzed’ being used as a descriptor. If your collagen is hydrolyzed it means that the amino acid chains have been broken down into smaller units which makes it easier for the body to digest. In other words, it is a more bioavailable form of collagen. So if you are considering buying collagen protein for specific health reasons lookout for collagen containing the hydrolyzed form.
Collagen products do vary a lot in quality, so it’s important to note where in the world’s it is coming from – those coming from China, for example, tend to be cheap and of poor quality due to loose manufacturing controls and standards.
Buy a product that has been quality tested. High-quality companies choose to have their products verified through a third party which layout standards of purity and quality in dietary supplements. Make sure it is made & certified in the UK and safeguarded by the highest manufacturing standards in the world (GMP).
Enriched with Nutrients
Some contain added vitamin C and E because they both play a role when it comes to maintaining our skin production of collagen and hydration, respectively. Vitamin C is critical for the synthesis of hyaluronic acid. This can boost the production of collagen in your body. Hyaluronic acid naturally found in the body, but it decreases as we age.
Keep in mind, though, that you likely won’t get a benefit from ingesting the added vitamin C unless you’re deficient. It should also have added vitamins like B2, Zinc, Copper, Iodine to aid in protein synthesis and for an added blessing. You can consider taking vitamin supplements along with collagen supplements. Check this list of best multivitamins that may help.
Check the Ingredient:
Search for a supplement with as few ingredients as possible. The main ingredient should be collagen, with no preservatives or added sugar. The reason: You’ll get more of what you want from your supplement and less (or no) fillers that you don’t need.
Why Collagen Supplements Matters for our Health
The supplementation of collagen are pretty impressive and it is backed by science. Following are some reasons to take it:
For skin. Multiple studies have shown the beneficial effects of collagen our skin. One study in 2013 showed that taking collagen can reduce the signs of ageing, and another noted a significant improvement in our skin elasticity. This collagen protein is your skin’s structural support; as we age, it breaks down, so we lose firmness and volume within the skin.
Cosmetic creams that contain collagen as an ingredient have been around for many years, but it’s not clear that simply using collagen cream on the top layer of dead skin will in any way help replace what’s been lost below, where it counts. But there is scientific evidence that shows positive results when it is ingested. The alternative to collagen supplement, you can try retinol cream to shrink pores, brighten dark spots and plump your face by deeply resurfacing your skin. But collagen supplement provides the best results for strengthening the overall skin structure.
For bones and joints. A study 2008 showed an improvement of pain in athletes if you take a dietary collagen protein. The same study also noted that it had been shown to be beneficial for patients with osteoarthritis. Another study concluded can increase bone mass, something to think about, since women struggle with bone density more than men.
For athletic performance. Collagen peptides powder is a protein; adding collagen into your daily diet also means adding in protein. For example, adding two scoops of collagen powder adds an extra 18 grams of protein to whatever you’re eating and drinking. Adding protein will help with your muscle repair and building, recovery, and satiety which will help you exercise better and feel your best.
For your gut. Dr Josh Axe, Naturopathic physician says collagen can help in the remedy of the leaky gut syndrome — a medical condition that can cause food sensitivity, digestive problems, and a slew of other physical ailments. All in all, it seems like there are no harmful side effects if you take it, so it can’t hurt to try — especially since it is even easier to digest than gelatin.
Customer Questions & Answers
What are the type of collagens
Collagen occurs in many places throughout the body, making up a huge 90 percent of our bone mass and 30 percent of all other proteins our body produces. There are various types of collagen (at least 16), each type being found in different areas of the body: the skin, connective tissues lungs, muscles, joints, blood cells, arteries. and more.
The six most common types are:
Collagen Type I
- Found in our skin, tendons, ligaments, and heart.
- Crucial for healing wounds and holding together our muscles and bones, in addition to making our tissue strong so it doesn’t tear.
Collagen Type II
- Found in our cartilage and connective tissues.
- Because our joints rely on well-lubricated cartilage, collagen is integral in optimizing our joint health.
Collagen Type III
- Found in our organs, such as our heart and skin (alongside type I).
- The reticulate in type III helps give our skin and tissue their elasticity and firmness.
Collagen Type IV
- Integral in lining our digestive and respiratory organs.
Collagen Type V
- Supports new hair formation as well as placentas.
Collagen Type X
- Important to the formation of new bone.
If this sounds confusing, think about it this way: if you divided your body into 16 different sections, there would be some type of collagen in every single quadrant, and multiple types of collagen in varying quadrants. Type I and type III collagen would be in every section. because your skin covers your entire body—and hence these are considered to be the most abundant types of collagen.
Difference between collagen gelatine and collagen peptides
Collagen gelatin is usually in a brittle. flat. almost papery form, and when mixed with water, turns into more of a gel, whereas collagen peptides are like protein powder and turn into liquid without much texture. Gelatin and collagen peptides have the same amino acid profile (18 amino acids, of which eight are considered to be essential amino acids), and an identical source (skin, bones, tissue).
Gelatin is often used in recipes as thickeners—it is what gives food a lot of its creamy texture. Collagen peptides, on the other hand, when dissolved perfectly, do not change the consistency of beverages or foods.
The chemical difference between them is that gelatin only goes through partial hydrolysis, whereas collagen peptides go through a more aggressive one. Peptides are easier than gelatin for your body to digest and absorb, which means the amino acids in collagen peptides. also known as hydrolyzed collagen, may be more bioavailable and therefore more effective.
How can we take collagen peptides
Collagen peptides are offered in a variety of forms: collagen pills vs. liquid vs. powder.
- Liquide collagen: A ready-to-consume product that comes in an 8- to 32-ounce bottle. Its collagen is in a base of water and often includes flavours to make it tastier, and you will have to consume it by taking the amount the manufacturer recommends on the bottle. The liquid collagen will save you the time of mixing collagen powders yourself.
- Collagen powder: Collagen peptides in their most raw form are a fine powder. This powder is usually mixed with water, creating liquid collagen (which is by far the most beneficial for the body as it is absorbed most efficiently). The key to assessing collagen powder is through its taste, purity, and colour. Not all collagen powders are created equal, and to find a high-quality collagen powder that you can take every day, you should try a few different ones and see which you like best—both in taste and in ease of use.
- Collagen tablets: Generally one capsule or tablet provides 1 gram of collagen (equal to 1.000 mg). Follow the manufacturer’s directions to determine how many capsules/tablets should be taken daily.
- Collagen candies, gummies and chocolates: There are candy alternatives for collagen—however. they are usually made with high-fructose corn syrup or other artificial sweeteners. Collagen gummy bears are often made with gelatin.
Most people prefer powders over tablets. capsules, gummies, and liquids, as they hate the feeling and experience of swallowing pills (and to swallow 10? No, thank you!). But whether it be in liquid, powder, capsule, or candy form. its essence is all the same: collagen peptides. However, you consume your collagen. We have found that the most important thing is to take your collagen daily, and for at least four weeks straight. assuming you are tolerating it well.
How to tell that a collagen powder is of high quality
To test the quality of your collagen powder, simply pour a little bit of lukewarm water into a glass or a cup, put a scoop of collagen into it, and mix it until the powder begins to dissolve.With high-quality, pure collagen, you will see that the colour of the water will stay translucent.
A supplements entrepreneur who has been studying collagen for the past 20 years, advises to steer clear of anything yellow, brown, or another tinted colour—that’s one way to spot less-than premium quality if you’re buying collagen in powder form. It should be colourless (when mixed with water) and tasteless. This shows how pure it is.
And of course, we must always pay attention to the label and check the origin of the collagen. Collagen sourced from China is really cheap and just not up to the standards of higher-quality stuff. Because supplements are actually unable to be regulated by the government authority, brands should make sure to turn to quality manufacturers and suppliers that sourced only the most premium, high-quality ingredients (and they should be able to trace every step of the way back to where their collagen comes from).
When is the best time to take collagen
The best time to take collagen is when there is nothing in your stomach. This could be in the morning when you first wake up, before bed or a few hours after eating a meal. It’s important to bypass the digestive process when taking collagen supplements. You want the collagen to be in your bloodstream in its present form, not digested by stomach acid or mixed in with your food for a breakdown during digestion.
What else should I take with collagen
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C has a distinct role in collagen synthesis: without vitamin C, our body is slower in healing wounds and producing collagen. Thus, it makes sense to have some vitamin C added to your collagen supplement. You can also like to have a clementine or orange in the morning to spike up my collagen production.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are one of the latest ingredients added to collagen supplements. High-quality probiotics are known to do a lot—and because of our stomach is also known as the second brain is the ruler of our overall health, we need to do all things possible to keep it happy. Because when our stomach is off, our skin takes a beating almost immediately!
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a substance known to improve skin hydration from both the inside and out. HA has been shown to have a durable effect to retain moisture in the skin from inside the body. In a month-long study, surveyed individuals who added hyaluronic acid to their diet showed significant reductions in skin dryness and wrinkles, and improvements in skin moisture and fullness. It also doubles as a powerful moisturizer: it can attract around 1.000 times its own weight in water—a feature that few other compounds have. Its ability to retain so much moisture is why hyaluronic acid is so popular in skincare products. The compound also plays key roles throughout our body: it lubricates joints, helps provide moisture and ensures our eyes don’t dry out. And last but not least. it also helps decrease collagen loss in our body.
- Superfoods: Superfoods are often added to collagen powders to provide flavouring and other health benefits. You can try matcha powder, turmeric and lucuma as the superfood flavourings to my formula. Because matcha induces a sense of calm while simultaneously boosting your energy, concentration, memory, and metabolism. It can keep you full and awake for hours.
What should I not take with collagen
The main rule of what not to take with collagen is foods that are eaten in a meal. Anything that requires digestion is a no-no because it will interfere with the absorption of collagen into the bloodstream. We also recommend forgoing collagen blends that contain added sugars as well as other preservatives and chemical additives—a lot of brands, to mask the taste have been formulated with artificial flavours—which indeed defeat the whole purpose of their being healthy!
Currently, there are not many known risks to taking collagen, however, for some people, it can give them common food allergens, such as fish, shellfish and meat. It is important therefore that people with allergies to these foods avoid it made with these ingredients to prevent allergic reactions. Also check it is free from allergens such as gluten, wheat, lactose and nuts.
There is seemingly a lot of different brands making it confusing to find the best one. But we hope, with the information provided here, you now know which one to buy and we have chosen the best supplements that’ll give you the most bang for your buck so you can get the results you want.