Best Probiotics to Buy in the UK 2020 Buyer’s Guide
We have researched the ingredient of the most popular probiotic supplement in the UK and compiled a list of the best one to fit your needs, so you don’t have to.
Our Top Picks
- Bio-Kult: 120 capsules, 14 strains of live bacteria, 10 billion live microorganisms per gram (1×1010 CFU/gram).
- Natures Zest: 180 capsules, 9 key strains, 60-billion CFU.
- Nu U Nutrition: 180 capsules, 5 active stains, 10 billion CFU.
- Full Spectrum: 120 capsules, 6 super powerful strains, 10 Billion Live CFU
- Physis: 30 capsules, 10 active strains of living bacteria, 50 Billion CFU.
Our bodies contain billions of bacteria and we need every single one! We put so much emphasis on looking after our body externally, but what about our inside? Each of us has an internal ecosystem, with our organs working continuously to maintain a balance between all the healthy and not-so-healthy things we put into our bodies every day.
In our body, one of the hardest-working internal organs is the intestine, and making sure the intestinal environment is healthy is one of the keys to overall health. The health of our entire body is dependent on a well-functioning digestive system. Critical to this is gut microflora; a healthy gut balance in gastrointestinal microbiota (good and bad bacteria) is essential for optimal human health.
Imbalances in gastrointestinal microflora, such as low levels of beneficial bacteria or overabundance of unfriendly bacteria, can impact on many aspects of your health, including lowered immune function and impairment of the immune system. Intestinal microflora levels are easily altered through stress, poor diet, infections and some types of medication.
If your diet is high in processed foods and sugars then it will decrease the number of good bacteria in your gut. The high amount of refined sugars have been linked to increased inflammation and it can be the precursor to a number of diseases and including cancers.
Dysbiosis results when these flora levels are out of balance, increasing the risk of digestive disturbances, infection and disease. Probiotic supplements are often the first recommendation to correct this digestive imbalance. It’s a nutrition booster to improve gut health.
Table of Contents
- Best Probiotics to Buy in the UK 2020 Buyer’s Guide
- How to Choose the Best Quality
- List of Best Probiotic Supplement to Buy in the UK 2020
- Bio-Kult Advanced Multi-Strain Review
- Natures Zest 60 Billion CFU Bio Cultures Review
- Bio-Cultures Complex Review
- Full Spectrum Bio-Culture Defence Review
- Physis Advanced Probiotics Review
- Why Do You Need Probiotics?
- How Long Should You Take?
- When Do You Need a Probiotics?
- Probiotics Benefits + Myths (Video)
How to Choose the Best Quality
The first and best point of contact when figuring out whether you need to supplement with probiotics (and what with) is the GP.
“A general probiotic is not suitable for all because the reasons for imbalance are very individual. People need to gain an understanding of their own gut health, which can be achieved by working with their doctor and providing a stool sample.”
When your GP knows which condition or illness to treat, then it’s best to look for a supplement that contains the specific probiotic strains which have been proven to assist in the treatment of that condition.
Generally, here are some important things to consider when choosing a probiotic. You must note that it is the strain of probiotic that is most important.
“Check the genus, species and strains of the microorganisms (for example, Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1). Some probiotic supplement doesn’t list the strain, which is important to know as different strains provide different benefits.”
“Look at the number of organisms contained in a single dose and the directions on how to take the supplement. As a guide, choose a supplement that contains at least 7 strains and 5 billion ‘colony-forming units’ (CFU). Colony-forming units are a measure of viable bacterial or fungal cells.
“Check the potency, as well. It is very important to buy a product that ensures the living microbes are in fact still living at the time of purchasing online. Some supplements may provide a live microbe count ‘at the time of manufacture’, which does not guarantee that this same amount will be available when you buy the supplement or take it.”
Storage is also important to ensure the probiotics last and does its job.
“Some forms need to be refrigerated, while others only you can store at room temperature. The probiotics should always be kept away from moisture, heat and direct sunlight.”
“High quality is very important. You want a supplement that is free from chemicals and other ingredients that could potentially upset your gastrointestinal tract. Read the label for potential irritants and ingredients that you may be intolerant to.”
List of Best Probiotic Supplement to Buy in the UK 2020
The Bio-Kult probiotic is a unique probiotic capsule with live 14 strains of bacteria. So it will reach more areas of your gut and will give you more chances of maintaining gut health as well as the immune system. Its naturally powerful formulation targets the digestive health.
The good thing this capsule is, it can be taken by pregnant women as well as children. But we advise you to take consult your GP first. The best part is, the capsules are smaller than average so it’s easy to swallow. It’s a good option if you have trouble swallowing large pills/capsules or for children.
This probiotic offers the most important strains Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Bacillus subtilis and 11 more live bacterial.
This is premium quality and according to our research, its the number 1 top-grade probiotic supplement which is suitable for your whole family. These capsules are particularly effective at promoting your gut health by maintaining microflora balance.
- The capsules are much smaller than average and easy to swallow.
- It is good for travelling as you don’t need to refrigerate.
- This supplement is specially formulated to survive stomach acid.
- Take 1-2 capsules once or twice daily with food.
- When you are taking antibiotics, take at least 4 capsules daily, spread out throughout the day, and for at least 2 weeks after completion of the antibiotic course.
- When you are travelling, take 4 capsules daily and continue at least 1 week following the end of travel.
- This supplement is also safe for kids and children under 12 should take half the adult dose.
- You can take the capsule form or opened up and sprinkled on food or mixed with water. It’s good if you have trouble swallowing pills or for children.
- This supplement doesn’t contain unnecessary additives and it’s non-GMO, gluten-free, vegetarian, and free of artificial flavours, colours, and preservatives.
- 120 capsules
Natures Zest Probiotic Formula has 9 key strains and has been formulated for its effectiveness and bio-availability. You will feel more energetic when you take it and see overall the impact your digestive health.
It is one of the strongest and high grade probiotic supplement you will find as this one is a 60-billion CFU 9 strain ultra formula. A very powerful and most potent supplement. It is only suitable for adults. This formula of probiotic will not let you down.
You will not feel sluggish anymore, no more suffering during flu season. This vegan supplement will do more good than harm. You will see quick improvement of your gut health and feel good every day.
Natures Zest promises to give money back If you are not satisfied with the product. It comes in a pack of 180 capsules so it will cover for 6 months. Give it a try.
- Easier to swallow capsules.
- You can store it at room temperature without the need for refrigeration. So it is easy when travelling.
- Take 1 capsule per day with food or as directed by your healthcare professional.
- It is not intended for use for persons under the age of 18.
- All-natural ingredients, a vegetarian, dairy-free supplement produced in a GMP certified facility.
- It is free from lactose, soya, gluten, and wheat.
- It contains high strength prebiotics.
- 180 capsules.
The Nu U formula is formulated with 5 active stains and each specially formulated strain is chosen for its effectiveness. Each capsule is highly potent with 10 billion CFUs viable good bacteria to restore and maintain the bacterial balance in your gut.
This probiotic capsule comes with the best 5 stains that harmoniously work together to balance good gut flora. It also offers a high potency of 10 billion CFU for optimal results.
180 capsules will cover for 6 months gives amazing value for your money.
- This probiotic is one of the strongest digestion boosters.
- Need to refrigerate once opened and keep out of sight and reach of young children.
- Take 1 capsule with a full glass of water preferably at breakfast time. Do not exceed the recommended dosages.
- It is free from artificial ingredients and suitable for vegetarians.
- Non-GMO, lactose, gluten, wheat and gelatine free.
- Not suitable for children.
- 180 capsules.
Swiss BioEnergetics Full Spectrum Bio-Cultures Defence 400mg capsule contains 6 super powerful strains of friendly bacteria. With the proprietary DRCaps© encapsulation, disintegration starts approximately 45 minutes later than a typical immediate release capsule. These time-release probiotics are more effective at getting probiotic bacteria past stomach acid and to your gut.
- Take 1-2 capsules, once or twice a day on an empty stomach with water. Do not exceed daily recommended dosages.
- You don’t need to refrigeration due to the innovative DRcaps capsules. So it’s suitable when travelling.
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- Not suitable for persons under the age of 18 years old.
- Produced in a GMP certified facility.
- 10 Billion Live CFU.
- 120 capsules.
This probiotic capsule contains 10 of the most essential active strains of living bacteria and 50 Billion CFU. These probiotics are an excellent choice for those suffering from minor gut irritations. But it’s quite a strong strain so you should avoid it if you’re in perfect gut health.
This product is promoted as a potential treatment for Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and other digestive ailments.
It’s a reasonably priced supplement and cover for 1 month.
- Easy to swallow capsules and acid-resistant.
- These are contained within delayed-release capsules that means you can take it before or after meals.
- Take 1 capsule daily in the morning or evening. Don’t exceed the suggested dosage.
- Not suitable for persons under the age of 18 years old.
- It is free from lactose, soya and gluten.
- Keed to refrigerate once opened.
- 30 capsules.
Why Do You Need Probiotics?
Health conditions associated with probiotic deficiencies (low levels of beneficial bacteria) include urinary tract infections, gingivitis, thrush, candida, allergies (such as hay fever), arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, acne, cold sores, to get rid of sore throat, athlete’s foot, psoriasis, eczema, constipation, Crohn’s disease, to calm IBS flare-up, chronic diarrhoea, colic and nappy rash in infants, gout and migraines, premature ageing, hyperactivity. It promotes overall health condition as well as boost the immune system which never hurts when it comes to weight loss as well. But it might not be recommended for someone with chronic illness or a weakened immune system.
How Long Should You Take?
Unfortunately, taking a probiotic does not lead to long-term colonisation and survival in the digestive tract. These products must be taken regularly from regular diet or from supplement otherwise they will be diluted out of the colon within one to two weeks of ingestion unless there is continuous intake. Once you start taking it regularly, you will see the sign that it’s working. Like more regular bowel movements, less digestive discomfort, improved mood and lose weight faster.
“The recommended dosage of probiotics is still an important area that needs to be addressed in future research. A larger dose does not necessarily mean an enhanced effect and multiple strains does not necessarily equate to a more effective product.” We highly recommend consuming probiotic-rich foods and beverages in conjunction with a supplement is an important reason to take probiotics.
When Do You Need a Probiotics?
Probiotics are good bacteria to our digestive system. During infection, it has been shown to halve the recovery time from diarrhoea. Also, if you have been taking a course of antibiotics, these disturb the normal gut bacteria that keep you healthy. Supplementing probiotics for a few weeks after an infection, or during and after taking antibiotics, will greatly accelerate the recovery of the gut by repopulating it with normal, friendly gut bacteria.
Other things like stress, illness, eating junk food and poor diet can negatively impact our gut’s good bacteria. Bad gut bacteria grow when we eat processed food that’s high in sugar and unhealthy fats, low in fibre and prebiotics, or when we take antibiotics and other drugs. That makes people gain weight. Taking the appropriate probiotics for weight loss could be beneficial.
Just imagine your gut is like a garden and when you stop looking after your garden and the weeds take over and it can get into trouble. The same thing happens in your gut when unfriendly bacteria take over. That’s why our daily diet should contain fermented foods which are loaded with microorganisms, such as live bacteria and yeast (known as probiotics).
“In short, the microbial ecosystem in the gut has to be healthy for us to be healthy. When our gut bacteria are out of balance we become sick. When we have too many harmful bacteria this can become a problem. That’s where probiotic supplements come into play, as they help to improve the balance and therefore our overall health. It can also help some people to ease the symptoms of IBS. Scientific reports points, there are many health benefits of using probiotics in human nutrition.